If you have been charged with a crime, you are likely worried about losing your rights and freedom. With so much at stake, you need an experienced criminal defense attorney to focus diligently on your case to ensure you receive the defense you are entitled to.
Here at Igunbor & Igunbor, we provide criminal defense for people charged with misdemeanors and felonies in New York, including DWI and traffic tickets. Moreover, our legal team understands the serious impact a criminal charge can have on both the accused person’s life, as well as his or her family members’ lives. If you, or someone you know, are currently facing a criminal charge, contact us to find out how we can help.
Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) Defense
Driving While Intoxicated (“DWI”) in the state of New York can come with heavy fines, license revocation, and possible jail time. If you are facing charges, it is imperative that you find an attorney that will fight on your behalf to reduce or eliminate any possible adverse penalties. The law regarding DWI is long and difficult to navigate, with many different possible outcomes. Moreover, New York officials prosecute based on several violations of the law, which can include:
- Driving While Intoxicated with a .08 Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) or higher or .04 for drivers of commercial motor vehicles.
- Aggravated Driving While Intoxicated (Aggravated DWI) of .18 BAC or higher.
- Driving while ability impaired by alcohol (DWAI/Alcohol) with more than .05 BAC but less than .07 BAC.
- Driving while ability impaired by a single drug other than alcohol (DWAI/Drug).
- Driving while ability impaired by a combined influence of drugs or alcohol (DWAI/Combination).
- Chemical test refusal, for drivers that refuse to take a chemical BAC test.
- Zero tolerance law, for drivers under 21 years of age who drives with a BAC above .02.
The penalties for driving while intoxicated range from loss of driving privileges to possible jail time and fines. Many violations include mandatory fines of $500 or more with a maximum jail term and mandatory driver license action. In addition, greater penalties can apply for multiple violations within a twenty-five-year period, with surcharges added to alcohol-related misdemeanors and felonies. If you, or someone you know, are dealing with a DWI charge, contact Igunbor & Igunbor to see how we can help.
Traffic Violations Defense
Igunbor & Igunbor represents clients facing traffic ticket citations in the state of New York. We work with our clients to fight all manner of traffic tickets and represent all kinds of drivers, including Commercial Driver License (“CDL”) drivers, junior license holders, and Taxi and Limousine Commission (“TLC”) drivers. Traffic violations can result in hefty fines, an increase in car insurance rates, points on your driver’s license, and the loss of your driving privileges. While you may not think you need an attorney for a traffic ticket, an experienced defense attorney can help you avoid serious consequences. The most common types of traffic violations in New York include:
- Speeding: Speeding tickets can come with large fines and increase to insurance premiums. Make sure you are defended properly to avoid undue burden.
- Cell phone use: Using a cell phone while driving is illegal in New York, but that is no reason to accept the consequences blindly. Fight to lower fines and points.
- Move over law: Few drivers understand that Move Over Law, which requires drivers tos low down and switch lanes for a stopped emergency vehicle.
- Suspended license: Driving on a suspended license is a criminal charge with the most serious degree being classified as a felony.
- DWI: Driving while intoxicated can lead to fines, jail time, and license suspension.
- Stop sign violation: Ignoring a stop or yield sign can lead to points and fines.
If you, or someone you know, has a traffic ticket to face, schedule a consultation with Igunbor & Igunbor to see how we can help.